"We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Who's LP?

One of the most challenging parts of the adoption process is not the neverending mountains of paperwork and scrambling to scrape together finances, it's not knowing who your child will be. Boy or girl, infant or toddler; and not knowing how long you'll wait to find out the answer to those questions. I suppose it's not so different from being pregnant except that being pregnant often answers the gender question and there's certainly a more definitive timeline. Rather than referring to our second child as "our next one", "our second one", "he/she", "our future baby", or any other generic term, we've decided to give him/her a temporary name - Little Peanut, or "LP" for short. So, cheesy as it may be, please bear with us - it helps maintain a little sanity around here.

Monday, January 28, 2008


Hello from the Fenskes! This is my feeble attempt at posting to a blog for the first time. I'm sure all you blogger pros out there will have lots of suggestions for me (I hope).

I've started this blog for a variety of reasons. First and foremost we want to share our adoption journey with our loved ones. Last year we were incredibly blessed with our son, who was adopted at 12 months old from an orphanage in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. For those who know us and him, I don't need to tell you how much of a blessing he is to us. Our adoption experience, while not without struggles, was very smooth and very fast! The process also deeply impacted and changed us forever. Which is why we have decided to dive into the adoption waters yet again with the intention of adding another beautiful child to our family.

Another purpose of this blog is to share our story with as many people who want to hear it. This time, we plan to adopt a special needs child. There are roughly 150 million orphans around the world and sadly, less than 1% of those children will find forever families. Of the remaining 99%, many of those children have special needs. The fact of the matter is that a great deal of people who pursue international adoption request a healthy, infant girl.

Why special needs? I've been asked. During our brief visits to E's orphanage last year I saw so many wonderful children with minor to moderate, sometimes correctable and treatable medical conditions who sadly may have little hope of being adopted. These children are beautiful, intelligent and have just as much chance at having a normal, fulfilling life as any other child and I knew then that we would be proud to become parents to one of them.

Why now? Why don't you wait awhile? How can you afford it? These are all questions that have been raised by the very few people we've shared our plans with to date. This process could take up to 18 months or more. There is so much people don't realize is involved with international adoption (I'll save that for another post). The answer to the last question - we cannot afford it. I used to be horribly offended when people asked how much our adoption of E had cost. I guess that question doesn't phase me anymore and I will post later on about the detailed costs so that people can learn about what is involved. We have had to come to the realization that whether we pursue another adoption now or in five years or in ten years, we are going to have to put our pride aside and depend on the support and generosity of others to bring our baby home. We plan to embark on some fundraising this year and do some creative financing as well. Adoption is a complete leap of faith and we are trying to have faith that it will all work out somehow.